Being involved in a serious car accident is one of the scariest experiences one can have in their life. It can often make you feel as if your life has been ripped from you. In such a scenario, analyzing any property damage and filing a car accident claim will probably be one of the last things that will cross your mind. At least not immediately, as your immediate concern is likely to be making sure that any health concern that results from the accident is taken care of asap.
The issue of filing a traffic accident claim likely comes to mind much later after the accident, and after you are relatively fully recovered from any injuries or trauma you might have sustained. However, when the time does come to look into filing a claim and getting compensated for any damages, a lot of people often compromise on the amount of compensation they think they should get and agree to whatever the insurance company offers them. This is likely because they are usually just thankful for having not being seriously injured in the accident, and are thankful for being able to get any compensation that will help them recover from any damage. Also, they are usually not able to fight with the insurance company to receive the fair compensation they deserve, in the way that an injury lawyer can.
Here is a list of five things that can help make your car accident claim process more favorable..
- Stay Calm And Determine The Extent Of Damage and Injury: One of the most immediate and important things that anyone who has been involved in a car accident should do, is to try to stay calm. Panicking, allowing one’s temper get the better of them or getting into a heated argument with the other party involved in the accident does not help you, even if only from the point of view of your health.
The most immediate thing you should therefore do is to try and determine if you or anyone else has sustained any injuries. The fact however, is that oftentimes with minor or even some major accidents, it is not always easy to determine if an injury has been sustained, especially if there is nothing visible like cuts, bruises or any bleeding. This might be especially true of such seemingly “minor” injuries like a whiplash injury.
If it is however established that no apparent injury has been sustained, and if you are physically and emotionally able to, then the next thing you should do is to try and determine the extent of the damage to your vehicle. It is also at this point that you are to observe all the best practice of things to do after a car accident, such as taking down all the information of the other party to the accident, taking down statements and contact details of anyone who might have witnessed the accident, taking as many pictures of the scene as possible, making sure not to move the car from the spot and also calling the police to the scene in very serious cases, and lastly, informing your insurance company as soon as possible.
- Seek Medical Help Immediately: Seeking medical assistance immediately after you have been involved in an accident is one of the first things you should do. Even if no injury is apparent. An emergency contact number should always be in your speed dial so that you can quickly dial it in case of emergency. At that point in time, nothing else really matters besides your health and making sure that any injury you have sustained is promptly looked at by a doctor. The other thing you should always do during the process of seeking and receiving medical care, is to document or obtain a record of everything that is done by the medical professional in the process of nursing you back to health. You very likely will need this record when your claims process starts with the insurance company, or during litigation if it gets to that.
- Analyze the Damage Thoroughly: Other than the damage to your car, several other factors need to be considered in trying to determine what you should try and claim from the insurance company, such as loss of earnings, damage to your property, any medical expenses, transportation costs while without your car, and any other expenses you may incur.
- Hire A Personal Injury Lawyer: Hiring a highly knowledgeable and friendly legal service is a good idea. In fact, it is the best thing that you can do to file a claim and get fair car accident compensation. They will help you through the entire process right from the beginning till the end. Follow up with your solicitor: Keep a track on the latest activities of your solicitor or legal advisor. Help prepare your case for taking your case to the next level. It makes your traffic accident compensation process much more comfortable. Be patient: Be patient all through the procedure. Don’t lose hope and just cooperate with your lawyer. He will help you get the full and fair compensation for the loss you have suffered due to the car accident.
- File Car Accident Claim With Insurance Company: The next step is to inform your insurance company and file a claim. Don’t feel any pressure and agree with what they have to offer you. If you think that they are not providing you full and fair compensation, you can further negotiate the payment
Roles of a personal injury attorney
Here are some other reasons why finding the right personal injury attorney is essential for you:
- They will ensure that not only are your immediate medical bills covered and the expense paid but you get enough compensation to make up for period lost from work.
- They know precisely how various insurance agencies try to defend their clients so that they don’t have to pay your compensation claim. Filing a car accident claim without a lawyer often proves to be a bad idea for the same reason because the lawyers from insurance agents uproot the case with their tactics.
- Car accident lawyers will know if you deserve more compensation claim and will let you know the best deal you can get.
- Your lawyer will look into all probable causes of the accident included drunk drivers, faulty car parts, negligence, traffic violations, etc. and prosecuted any involved party.
- In cases where the fault has disputes, your lawyer is your only chance of getting the defendant party to accept the responsibility of cross-questioning and presenting a case.
- Lawyers with experience in courtroom and car accident trials will make you feel more confident in your case, and be able to present a better appeal.
- Research suggests that people involved in car crash accidents and appointed a lawyer to defend their settlement claims got a much more significant compensation plan than those without lawyers.
Nobody wants to be liable for any car accidents and wrecks, but good injury attorneys will make sure that unjust compensation does not ruin your life. Making it alive through a car accident isn’t enough; you need a good lawyer to help you through the crises so that you can put ‘life’ back into your existence.